Friday, January 30, 2009

Google drive? I already have one, and it's called GMail

I was underwhelmed by this report about a putative "GDrive", that is, an online file repository managed by Google.

I don't get it. There already is such a thing; it's called GMail. I use GMail as a file archive all the time, and GMail's excellent search feature -- fast and accurate -- enables me to find my file without having to create and navigate a file hierarchy.

Worrying. This is how Microsoft went bad: they took something that worked just fine, for example Microsoft Word 4.0, and gilded it until it's almost unusable -- meet Microsoft Word 2007! Now I have to keep a laptop around running Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2003 for the rest of my life, so I can actually format a document and trust it to come out the way I want it to. Google, don't go down that road.

technorati:

No comments: