Sunday, October 04, 2009

Read my short story 'Polar Bear'

Here's a short story, Polar Bear (PDF), which I spent a great deal of time working on several years ago, available for free from the Scribd website. (I'm not too sure just what the purpose of the Scribd website is, but for the moment I'll use it to share some of my writing.)

For those familiar with much of my work, this is not a story about sex and it doesn't really have any sex in it (though there is a cameo by a stripper). It's based on an anecdote told to me by a friend when I lived in Japan twenty years ago. She was a wealthy middle-aged lady who had a rich, depressed friend from college. He was so bored he wanted to kill himself, but she said to him, "Well, what if you just risked your life instead?" And took him hunting polar bears in the Arctic. I tried to imagine what that must have been like.

It's really one of my best short stories, a form which (outside of the realm of erotica) I have trouble with. So I hope you'll enjoy this, offered as a free PDF download.

1 comment:

Alexey Verkhovsky said...

Hi, I work for Scribd (here courtesy of Google Alerts :). In your case, I'd say, two benefits are most relevant:

(1) You could have your book embedded (and viewable) right here in your blog post. Look for the share/embed button at the top right corner of the page - that would give you the HTML "code" to include in the post.

(2) documents hosted on Scribd tend to be easier for search engines to find.

And of course, you don't need to bother about any of the basic file hosting issues.