Monday, February 15, 2010

Road trip, end of day 5



Not much driving today -- just the 140 miles from Clear Lake, IA to the suburbs of Minneapolis, and then into the city. After scraping the snow off the car -- not so difficult, because it wasn't really frozen on, and it was just a matter of brushing a lot of powder off the car -- I got on the road. I saw a few more overturns, because the morning was as snowy and windy as the previous afternoon. But the weather calmed down by the time I arrived at my hotel in suburban Eagan. I had time during the day to do laundry and exercise in the hotel's exercise room.

Then it was into the city to meet my friend Alexis, who is a local celebrity of sorts, author of the relationships advice column in one of the weeklies, as well as food critic and budding restaurateur. We've known each other for several years, since she wrote a fan email to me after reading my work, but we'd never met. After dinner at a Minneapolis bar-restaurant, she gave me a comprehensive driving tour of the interesting parts of the city, and threw in St. Paul for good measure. She didn't even know how much I like to be taken around like that. If only I'd had a better night's sleep in Clear Lake, I might have been a little bit more lively too.

Tomorrow, a big driving day, all the way down almost to St. Louis, Mo.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Thanks for driving up to have dinner with me. Next time, summertime.