Sunday, September 26, 2010

Desert sojourn day 17

Up early today, 4.5 miles. In my now-standard rectangular route in the neighborhood, I encountered for the first time a female runner. She was going clockwise while I was going counter clockwise, so we passed each other twice. She was heavily equipped with the arm-strapped combination music player-runners timer and looked very professional.

I also saw the two hawks I saw a few days ago, and this time I noticed their nest. I didn't have a camera with me, so I'll take a picture tomorrow.

I skipped church and worked all day long on my book, and I got a lot done. While I was working, a coyote trotted right by the window in broad daylight -- it was maybe 10 in the morning -- but I didn't move fast enough to take a picture of him. Handsome animals.

At the end of the day I sat outside reading and drinking a beer. As the sun set I took this picture of the view across the street. It didn't come out that great using the cellphone camera. I guess I was too lazy to go back in the house and get the better digital camera. I took that picture at sunset; the hills are the foothills of the Queen Mountains and they make up the southern border of the national park.

It was quite a hot day. When the sun set I hosed off the west side of the house, where the concrete back porch was radiating a tremendous amount of heat. And it's supposed to be hot tomorrow. I can always go someplace air-conditioned; I can even take my laptop and work from wherever.

No comments: