Monday, September 27, 2010

Desert sojourn, day 18



Hawks nest along Cottonwood Road, Panorama Heights, Joshua Tree

There's the hawks nest I spotted yesterday. At least I assume it belongs to the pair of hawks I saw hunting from the tops of those same electric poles on two different days. They weren't around this morning; I suppose they hunt different ranges on different days. They aren't dumb. The only critters I saw this morning were two gleaming black ravens. They looked so well-fed that it seemed hard for one of them to lift off the ground, but maybe he was just being lazy.

It's hot again today, but I have no cause for complaint, since it's actually much hotter in Los Angeles, if the weather map is to be believed:


Update: The L.A. Times has just reported record-breaking temperatures of 113 degrees in downtown Los Angeles.

Still, I'm thinking of going to the movies this afternoon, a mid-20th century way of escaping the heat. There is one movie theater, predictably in a shopping center in the suburbanized town of Yucca Valley. And there's a drive-in too, which all my hip friends say is the only way to go. That's in Twentynine Palms. Actually, knowing there's a 6-screen megaplex in a shopping center in Yucca Valley and a drive-in in Twentynine Palms tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the difference between the two towns.

No comments: