Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Desert sojourn: day 6



The Morongo Basin, seen from just inside the northern edge of Joshua Tree National Park

It was quite cool this morning, about 60 degrees. I walked about three and a half miles. I got a very early start and walked for a longer time, but covered less ground somehow.

I knocked off work about 4:00 pm when Christine came over to take a little hike with me. We walked up to the top of the street, on the other side of which an easily passable fence marks the northern edge of Joshua Tree National Park. We walked up a slope, past the science-fiction Doolittle House which I've mentioned already (you can see it on the right side of this picture) and up a wash. A wash is a dry stream bed, an arroyo. During a flash flood it's no place to be; otherwise, it makes a convenient path through the desert, as long as you're content to go uphill where the wash goes and climb over occasional boulders. In the late afternoon, we found a cool shady spot in the canyon to sit and talk.

Christine is one of my oldest friends; I've mentioned her many times. We used to perform together. Now she's a painter.

I ate dinner outside as the sun set. As soon as it had disappeared behind the horizon, the air was noticeably cooler. Now at 9:30 pm, it's quite cool again. I love sleeping in cool weather -- that's what's so great about San Francisco. Speaking of which, I had the greatest dream last night.

No comments: