Saturday, October 02, 2010

Desert sojourn, day 23


No walk this morning, as it was even stormier than Thursday morning. Much more rain fell, especially between here and the town of Twentynine Palms, where I was hit by a hard rain on the highway. When I got to town, the power was out. At Denny's, they let me order coffee and pie, and then, since they quickly ran out of coffee that had been made before the power was out, they began turning people away. In fact, they couldn't even charge me. I tipped the waitress anyway.

I drove with Christine today back into the Mojave Desert Preserve, where I had gone last Saturday. It was a cooler day, and when we got out to walk around at Cima and Kelso (I didn't take any pictures today) it was much more pleasant than last week. We encountered no rain on our trip. Christine resumed telling me gossip about local weirdos. I don't think she'll ever run out of stories about them.

After we got back I spent the rest of the day transcribing yesterday's interview and researching some more today about a heinous murder that happened 100 miles from here but which might just as well have happened a few miles away. Young people, drugs and alcohol, abandoned military bunker, guns -- what could possibly go wrong?

No comments: