Sunday, June 12, 2011

I think I'm on Plan G or H

The NYT has a link to a feature called 18-Year-Olds Predict Their Future. Huh, wonder what I would have "predicted" for my future when I was 18. (I turned 55 this year.)

I think I would have expected to be either a writer or an actor, although what I really wanted to be was a disc jockey on the radio. I didn't have the slightest idea how to go about achieving that dream, and by the time I got out of college I was a film critic. That lasted about a year, and then I devoted a lot of time to being a performance artist while working various dead-end jobs and then getting my teaching degree. That lasted a couple years. Anyway, 37 years after graduating from high school, I actually do earn my living as a writer -- a technical writer, that is.

What use it is "predicting" at age 18 what you're going to be, I don't know.

No comments: