Thursday, September 30, 2010

Desert sojourn, day 21 - day of storms



I've been getting out later and later for my morning walks, and as a result I do too much of the walk in full sunlight. So this morning I was all set to get out early. Had my alarm set for 5:30 and everything. But the sky had other plans. I was awakened a little after 5:00 by strong breezes coming in the the windows, which I keep open at night. By the time it started to get light, the wind was really blowing and there were lightning flashes. Clearly it was no time to take a walk. We had another colorful sunrise and by the time it got fully light I could see dark clouds here and there and precipitation coming from them. I took the picture above, showing the house I'm staying in under a rainbow, just after sunrise. And I took this video (1 min. 4 sec.) about the same time.


But it wasn't until around 8:30 that a little rain finally fell on me. It lasted for ten minutes or so, not getting anything around here very wet. Though I was glad I had gone outside and closed the windows of the car, which I also keep cracked open.

Now at mid-day it's just kind of cloudy, with clearing in the east. The storm cleared out the haze in the air, and the clouds are making it a little cooler.

Update a little later: While all that weather was going on, searchers found a guy who'd been missing in the national park for almost a week.

No comments: