Sunday, September 12, 2010

Desert sojourn: day 3



Coyote melons (Cucurbita palmata) on vine, Joshua Tree National Park border fence

This morning I started my morning walk even earlier than the day before, and it was a good thing, because I could tell right away the day was warmer. On Baseline Road, along the border fence of the national park, I found this coyote melon vine. It's unusual to see ripe (yellow) melons intact, because once they're ripe, they're usually eaten by critters. But not only was this vine undisturbed, but one of the melons had rolled away a couple of feet, and even it was undamaged. I took it home.

Today was a good day for my book project because I was able to meet somebody who works for the local radio station, as well as a local clergywoman, and I'm going to try to sit down and talk with them this week about living here, the people they meet, and whatever stories they can tell.

Because it was so hot today, I spent the rest of the day indoors, only going out at sunset to sit at the table outside, and then after dark to lay on the table and take in the stars. Since there is no moon this week, it's a good time for stargazing, even though it's not nearly as dark where I am as it is at my friends' houses in Wonder Valley.

No comments: