Saturday, May 25, 2002

 
Whoa there

Once in a while I search on the web for some mention of my work. By that I mean my two books and the magazine I used to publish, Frighten the Horses. Today I did the query a little differently than I ever had before, and I came upon this weird mention of the magazine:

FRIGHTEN THE HORSES. Its primary audience appears to be lesbians who enjoy bondage and sadomasochism. It contains many thoughtful and tender articles on the art of making love (excuse me for being so bold). I always thought myself worldly wise, and believed I had seen everything. But the article by the woman who dresses in diapers, sucks her thumb, and desires to be administered "disciplinary" enemas by her girlfriend was a real eye opener! Some dedicated readers even send in pictures. My issue featured a centerfold of a lady reminiscent of Margaux Hemingway (God rest her soul -- it's so sad when one is taken so young). The woman is bound, gagged, and tied to a ladder, while her lady friends drip hot candle wax on her belly. Ouch! I wish I had this magazine when I was still sewing [sic] my wild oats.

Gene Santagada

This was from a little article that comprised, ostensibly, a letter to the editor of the Publishers Clearinghouse Catalogue. It was written in 1996 -- at least a year after our last issue of the zine. I found it at http://cyberpsychos.netonecom.net/editor/pchsup.html.

The strange thing about the letter is that that woman looked nothing like Margeaux Hemingway. That is quite a stretch. I also don't remember publishing a story about a woman who wears diapers and sucks her thumb. Whatever.

1 comment:

genexs said...

Hysterical. I'm Gene, the one who wrote about your great zine in Cyber Psychos. The letter was in jest, so I was just taking a little poetic license. I wrote a number of cranky 'letters to the editor' for Jasmine.

warm regards,
Gene