Saturday, February 01, 2003

Make love, not war

I had to use that headline sooner or later. In fact I just might use it every day. It's a sentiment I endorse with vigor.

Here's an irresistible bauble from the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald:

Dannii includes ode to her vibrator on new album

Dannii Minogue has apparently turned to more than big sister Kylie for consolation after her latest relationship break-up - recording a raunchy tribute to her vibrator on her new album....The song has failed to impress those in Britain who've heard it, with The Sun's normally generous showbiz writer Dominic Mohan describing it as one of the worst songs, with the worst lyrics, ever written.

The story then goes on to quote the song's lyrics, so be sure to click the link, where you can also see an attractive publicity photo of the daring starlet.

By the way, Cambodia and Thailand have managed to keep from going to war. Cambodia issued an official apology after rioters burned the Thai embassy and several Thai businesses in the Cambodian capital. I guess they realized they'd be SOL without Thai investments.

I learned of the latest space shuttle disaster while driving in the car this morning. I turned on the local AM news station, where two anchors were in the middle of an extended interview with one of those experts trotted out by TV news whenever something unusual happens. Their conversation about technical details of the space shuttle was so amorphous that I listened for three or four minutes without any inkling of what had happened. Then someone said something about having seen television pictures of "scorched earth," and I said to myself, "This doesn't sound good."

I do have to say that my second thought was "I wonder what Bush and Cheney and Ashcroft are going to slide by in the next few days while we're all distracted by this 'tragedy.'" Not that it isn't a real tragedy, but I'm afraid that the way things are going, the deaths of just seven people are going to seem pretty miniscule. (If you want to see something depressing, just do a news.google search on 'war inevitable').

No comments: