Friday, November 21, 2008

Things I had to look up: Enarch (n.)

From David Brooks' column in the NYT:
Already the culture of the Obama administration is coming into focus. Its members are twice as smart as the poor reporters who have to cover them, three times if you include the columnists. They typically served in the Clinton administration and then, like Cincinnatus, retreated to the comforts of private life -- that is, if Cincinnatus had worked at Goldman Sachs, Williams & Connolly or the Brookings Institution. ... And yet as much as I want to resent these overeducated Achievatrons (not to mention the incursion of a French-style government dominated by highly trained Enarchs), I find myself tremendously impressed by the Obama transition.
What the hell? It sounds like some kind of weird science fiction term. But I found this:
"Enarchy" derives from the acronym ENA, "Ecole Nationale d'Administration", which selects the 25 years old. students who will take the top chief executive jobs in high civil services. Graduate of this school are called "enarchs."
Not sure how you count that in dollars; I suppose Brooks means "Ivy Leaguers and their ilk."

technorati: , ,

No comments: