Sunday, July 01, 2007

My new office

A couple weeks ago I sent out a mass email to friends, looking for someone who had a spare room in their house, or knew of one -- someone who didn't want a housemate to fill it, but could stand my presence fairly often in the next six months as I work on a new project (see previous entry).

My email had perfect timing, as a friend who owns a Victorian house and lives in one of the flats had just had his housemate announce she was moving out at the end of the month, and, in his words, "I think I'm getting a little old for housemates." So today I moved into her vacated room. It's a splendid 10x13 bedroom, complete with windows with no view whatsoever, his DSL is broken -- fewer distractions -- and best of all, it's within walking distance, so no worry about parking, moving my car, etc. etc.

He also had a spare desk, chair, lamp, bookcase -- all stuff old housemates and tenants had left behind. My biggest expense, aside from the monthly rent, was for a spike bar so I could plug everything in to the one outlet.

A picture should accompany this entry, but I didn't have the presence of mind to think of taking one. Imagine a bedroom with a wood floor and nothing in it but the above-mentioned furniture, and some big windows that look out on nothing but the house next door about two feet away, painted gray.

1 comment:

Marilyn Jaye Lewis said...

Wow, not sure I could handle the view. But I hope it will be a very productive room for you!