Thursday, August 30, 2007

In publishing, everyone knows you're a dog

Yesterday I received a preliminary verdict from my agent about the book I finished writing in June: she's not too crazy about it. The success of Steve Martin's novel "Shopgirl" notwithstanding, I wonder if there's a problem with a middle-aged man writing a book about a woman half his age.

Then I saw this article in the Boston Phoenix (courtesy Publisher's Marketplace) about how publishing is no different than anything else: it sure doesn't hurt to be young and pretty. Sample quote:
"It's easier in life to be attractive. That's reductive but true," says HarperCollins editor Gail Winston. "On the other hand, a brilliant book by an author who is not young and not attractive isn't going to fail. It's just, I think that those other books -- for those reasons, those authors maybe get a little bit of an advantage."
Oh, good! At least "a brilliant book is not going to fail." A ringing endorsement.

Frankly, my book is probably not brilliant. It probably does need tightenting -- as does my abdomen, come to think of it.

technorati:

2 comments:

Chris C. said...

Bummer! :(

Marilyn Jaye Lewis said...

This is terrifically disturbing on too many levels. When people read books, are they staring longingly at the author's photo or something??? (I know. It's really about marketing the author before anyone buys the book, but still. Enraging.)