Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Blooming today

The dentist's receptionist called to remind me I have an appointment at 10:00 on Thursday. It's a good thing she called. I have left off all calendars, appointment books and PDAs; the most I have to remind myself of things is a little post-it stuck on the kitchen calendar. But I didn't have one for the dentist.

1:40 pm, and the breeze has sprung up, the clouds beginning to roar in from the ocean a few miles away. It's been cool all day, though the sun has been out for a couple of hours; but now it will be really chilly for the rest of the day and into the evening. Down in the still-sunny garden, I can see that long stalks of grass are beginning to go to seed. I ought to go down there and take off the seed tops before they dry out and spread.

Blooming today are the poppies, the cherry trees, a bearded iris, a few calla lillies (most have gone), some geraniums, a few posies, the pink foxglove along the back fence, one white rose, and a long stalk I don't know the name of that has a bursting many-petalled purple flower. And, of course, the bougainvilla, which always has blooms. And the lavender and the jasmine and some little violets. And even more small flowers I don't know the name of.

Bumblebees float in and out of the poppies -- a haiku begging for a last line.

No comments: