Friday, June 20, 2003

Jiggity jig

After a long, long trip on buses and trains (I won't bore you with the details), I pulled into Emeryville aboard Amtrak this morning sometime before nine. We had just cruised along the shore of San Francisco Bay with the morning sun lighting up the city like a dream. I've had the experience of seeing the city from the air after coming back from a long trip and almost weeping, it was so beautiful. This experience was like that. "There's San Francisco!" I cried to everyone else in the car, pointing out the windows at the apparition across eight miles of water. No one responded, except for a leery look on the part of a few passengers.

Cris picked me up and we had a late breakfast, the better to wait out the morning traffic. Then we flew home across the Bay Bridge and into our street. In the house, the cats approached cautiously -- it had been seven weeks, after all.

Yes, it's good to be home. There are bills to pay, errands to run, and our friend Nancy reset the passwords to our wireless node without telling me, so that my laptop is incommunicado. (I'm doing this entry on the big Macintosh.) But the air is sweet and cool and the flowers in the garden are so pretty. Newspapers are plentiful; the Giants are on the radio; the internet works.

It'll take until my laptop is back on the wire before I can post a long journal of the last seven weeks. I'll feature that on another page.

No comments: