Sunday, June 22, 2003

Now it's summer

I worked last night on editing the journal I kept up at Holden Village. I wanted to post an edited version of it so that friends can see what I was up to there, and so that people searching for information on the place can find a detailed account by somebody. But after working on my personal journal entries for more than an hour, I came to the conclusion that they were both too personal and too boring for anyone to want to read. So I'll give it another shot, starting fresh and maybe including just a few verbatim excerpts from my actual journals. Readers might have to wait a few days for that, however.

How I spent my first full day back in town after seven weeks: errands, websurfing, puttering around the house, watching a little television. The biggest event was when Cris and I walked to the nearby Park Bench Cafe to have coffee and a croissant to celebrate Croissant Day. This purely private holiday marks the day in 1986 when I was sitting in a nearly deserted high school cafeteria, waiting to help register students for summer school. Cris and I were both summer school teachers; she approached me and mooched a croissant which, having brought about three of them, I could not refuse. We chatted all morning, went to lunch together, and that was the start of our relationship 17 years ago. Five years after that we became domestic partners on the same day, thus reinforcing the anniversary aspect of the date (actually four days ago, but I was in Seattle then).

Obligatory silly link: Biblical figures bobblehead dolls.

No comments: