Thursday, November 01, 2007

Experiments

I am experimenting with a new internety thing called Tumblr, using it to manually clip interesting news stories: markpritchard.tumblr.com -- courtesy Alexis. Apparently you can use it to "clip" all sorts of things, but I can't figure out how to make the RSS feed from this blog -- which may well be broken -- appear in it.

I can also train its contents to appear here on this page -- but first I have to figure out a way to keep it from taking over half the page.

Meanwhile, a colleague at work -- I work as a technical writer at a giant software company large enough to have seven tech writers just in our division -- keeps asking me if I plan to do National Novel Writing Month. I said I'm not only already writing another novel as fast as I can, but the NaNo I started in November 2004 took me more than two years to finish and still needs a rewrite. In my opinion, National Novel Writing Month exists primarily to give people permission to start a novel -- and I'm past that point. I may not be past many points in my career as a novelist but I'm past that one.

technorati: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm contemplating NaNoWriMo. My life took so many extraordinary turns this year; I should really get them on paper.

Anonymous said...

I personally love Nano- but I can see that as a professional writer, in that you have a discipline that works for you, that it would be a waste of time. For me, I really adore the middle of the novel feeling I get from Nano. I guess I haven't worked on a discipline that's as good as Nano. But I do end up having about four unfinished novels lying around. Oh, and I really like the community of Nano. It's super non-judgemental, and I end up sampling so many cool writing styles at the wrap-up party. Once writer (who didn't know I nano'd) described it as a "big group hug for amateurs," which while correct in a way was needlessly snarky. Does the writing community really suffer from more people trying their hand at it- and realizing how insanely hard it is? I don't think anybody walks away from Nano going "wow that was easy, writers shoudl be paid less." haha