Sunday, November 18, 2007

Who Twinka was

In my looking around the internet for references to Henry Miller, I ran across an interview with the painter Wayne Thiebaud, whose candy-colored paintings of California I have always liked. In the interview, Thiebaud mentions a daughter Twinka (b. 1945). The name rang a bell, and I thought of this famous photograph:

I knew the title of the photo was "Imogen and Twinka," and I thought, hell, there must be only one Twinka. Wow, I never knew the gorgeous woman in that famous photo was the daughter of a famous painter.

The photographer is Judy Dater, and another of her pictures of the famous painter's daughter can be seen here.

Anyway, according to the interview, Twinka Thiebaud "helped take care of Henry Miller in the end of his life. She was friends with his daughter" and also edited a book of Miller's miscellanea titled "Reflections." She is seen with Miller in the small image at the top of this blog post, which has links to this amusing anecdote by a newly minted mail carrier who met Miller and Twinka. And here is the uncropped image of the two of them.

technorati:

6 comments:

Debbie Ann said...

thanks for connecting all that - I like Thiebaud, and I have seen that photo and never realized the connection.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! She was married to my husbands uncle Avedis who just recently passed away. My husband knew here though I never go tthe chance to meet her and he said she was an amazing women
Anoush

David Reilly said...

I met Twinka and Avedis (and always knew them as that) thru a friend, John Olsen, in North Hollywood in the late 60s. A lovely and mysterious couple, to
my young eyes. I still have a little jewel box that Twinka made....

Sierra LeBaron said...

Twinka is my mom. She just finished writing a book about her conversations with Henry at the end of his life. It is available on Amazon.

jplumlee said...

Lucky to have known them both and "hang out" at OCOMPO.
jp

jplumlee said...

Lucky to have known them both and "hang out" at OCOMPO.
jp