Tuesday, June 18, 2002

 

Who put the funk

Listening to The J.B.'s on erika.net (go to their Listen page for a list of software that can play their streaming music -- basically anything that plays mp3s, such as the free Real Player). Funk, funk, funk. So great, and it goes on and on -- almost like an ambient track.

I'm leaving Massachusetts today -- it's the end of my third trip here. The manager I was filling in for came back yesterday, and she seems inclined to resume managing. So that's probably the end of my regular trips out here for some time.

I was joking today in email with a friend about all the historical stuff around here (this office building is smack dab between Lexington and Concord, for example, and a few miles from Walden Pond), and I brought up the phrase Revolutionary War. Ha, that's right, we had a revolution a couple hundred years ago! And now Henry Kissinger is in charge. It makes you wonder. That's about as far as I go, though. As I told Christine, my big confrontation today was at the hotel's front desk, when I realized they overcharged me. Woo hoo, up the revolution! Now I'm a Hilton Honors gold member!

Last night, a lovely thunderstorm passed over as I was sitting in the darkened hotel room and flipping between Goldfinger -- definitely the best of the Connery Bond movies -- a very dull baseball game, and a weird new game show hosted by some gigantic ex-stripper in a dog collar. I abhor shit like this, but it was just too weird not to watch a few minutes of. It's the kind of utterly weird shit that used to be shown only on Japanese TV. (The Simpsons-go-to-Japan episode satirized these shows by showing the family being tormented by various trials in order to win air tickets home. That was only a few years ago. Now these kinds of shows are on American TV.) Something is really wrong with this country! Let's have a revolutionary war against TV!

Bumper sticker seen a few years ago: KILL YOUR BROWSER.

No comments: