Sunday, July 21, 2002

Much more music

Yesterday I met Windy Chien, owner of Aquarius Records in San Francisco. Windy is the one who wrote me the fan letter a few days ago. Then she identified herself in a subsequent email, and I went to their website and saw from the staff pages that she is actually the owner. I was very impressed because the place is a real San Francisco institution with a great history and associations with some great figures of San Francisco independent rock and experimental music.

I stopped by the store on Saturday afternoon and introduced myself and chatted with Windy for a few minutes. It was a busy Saturday and I didn't want to take up too much of her time; I'll go back when I have time to hang out more. The fact is that I suddenly felt a little intimidated by someone who has, at least compared to me, an encyclopedic knowledge of modern pop music. I've made several stabs in various directions in the last couple of years, discovering a type of techo that I like, and being gratified that I'm not the only one who can see a connection between The Comas and The Grace Period -- both of whom I've seen referred to by the term "shoegazing." Maybe now that I have a friend in a record store, she'll help me find more stuff like that.

Then for something completely different, Cris and I went to see the SF Symphony's semi-staged production of Leonard Bernstein's "Candide." Seen as a Broadway musical, it's too long, and it telescopes some important moments while needlessly drawing out others. Seen as an operetta, it has too many transcendant choral pieces. But it was certainly enjoyable, if a little tiring.

No comments: