Friday, August 29, 2003

Arise ye prisoners of want

I love Fridays -- my day off. I do errands, read, see films, and always end the day by spending two hours on the treadmill in the basement watching the Giants on TV. (I hasten to say that, without the ballgame, it's a deadly dull two hours. I don't like exercise and I've never been able to understand people who do it for the sake of it. I'm doing it to keep from getting a fucking stroke.) Even when the Giants lose, like tonight, it's fun. I'm doing 7 miles at a pop now. I don't run much; mostly I walk. That's why it takes two hours.

My big leisure this afternoon was a trip out to the Richmond to see an obscure 1997 Japanese film, Bounce Ko Gals (a.k.a. Leaving) at the 4-Star. (The film festival page alleging it is a 2002 film is wrong.) Cute little Japanese girls, sex industry storyline: my kind of picture. I hasten to add that the entire movie transpires without any of the characters in the movie actually performing a sex act, on screen or off. Mostly they just make appointments with losers and then rob them. There's a sentimental yakuza who used to be a student radical; he owns a bar with The Internationale on the karaoke system -- that's the kind of gag they have in the film.

It was chilly and foggy out there on Clement St., and sunny and cool in north Bernal Heights when I got back. A lovely holiday all around.

No comments: