Sunday, January 12, 2003

Author makes killing. Ha ha!

A mystery writer I've never heard of named Karin Slaughter just got a "seven figure" contract for her next two books, say this Publishers Weekly article. I know that mystery writers, in addition to authors of certain screenplays and retired Presidents, are some of the few writers who are treated royally these days by the publishing world, but it impressed me that someone I never heard of, with only two books to her name, got a million bucks to write two more. I did a search on her name and came up, first, with this interview on her own website. (The so-called bio therein is a worthless paragraph-long piece of P.R.) It's fine as far as it goes, but what I really wanted to find out was, what was this woman's career arc? Has she published 62 short mystery stories before this, or did she just start tiddling her typewriter keys and hit the jackpot? Still searching, I found

No comments: