Sunday, January 05, 2003

Know the enemy, #1

This article on Salon.com cogently explains why politics still matters:

Clearly, though, the principal aim of hard-line religious conservatives is a tighter control on reproductive options and the enshrinement of the heterosexual nuclear family as the paragon of public virtue. Making abortion illegal is central to that goal.

Unfortunately, the article is part of their paid area, but clicking on the link will at least get you a summary.

Also very informative, and less opinionated, if journalistic even-handedness is important to you, the Dec. 20 2002 episode of This American Life. In my opinion, the weekly NPR program out of Chicago is the best documentary series in any medium, week in and week out, in the country. The Dec. 20 show, "Why We Fight," offers a multiplicity of views on the coming war in Iraq. Some very interesting informed perspectives are included. You can listen to the whole show from that link, but Real Audio is required.

I pay for Salon, but I draw the line at Real Audio. I just don't think I should have to pay for a utility that was free for the first four or five years of its existence. Yes, this keeps me from listening to a lot of stuff that's on the web, but I do draw the line someplace.

No comments: