Tuesday, January 30, 2007

HOWTO bribe customs guards

At the end of a long account of his visit to a relative's wedding in Nepal, this Indian-American blogger tells how to deal with customs/border guards expecting bribes:
I pulled my decoy wallet out of my pocket. The real one was safe in the other pocket. My carry-on bag was full of the silverware that my brother and mom had offloaded on to me after the wedding. The fact that it was wrapped in dirty laundry made the whole situation rather sketchy. Now the Nepali guards wanted their hard-earned cut.

"Do you have money? You will have to pay tax."

"Why? These aren't commercial goods. I am coming from my brother's wedding. This was all used for the religious ceremony."

"No, we cannot let you pass. Do you have any money? Just give it to him. It is of no use to you now."

After a few moments like this I took a wad of small bills out of my fake wallet and wadded them some more for good measure. Crumpled bills look like they are worth more than neatly folded bills.

"Here, this is everything." I handed it to him but he directed me to put it in my bag instead. Then he pretended to fold my clothes and took the money out of my bag.

No comments: