Monday, January 22, 2007

Snowed

It was only two years ago that Bush was crowing about the "political capital" he supposedly earned in the 2004 election. If it was hard then to imagine why someone would vote for Bush, it's even harder now. I was surfing past Fox News tonight and even Bill O'Reilly -- not on his own show, but on Greta Van Susteren's -- was saying the war in Iraq was a "disaster."

So I was grateful when I stumbled across a blog by a Colorado woman who, to my mind, epitomises the type of person who has supported Bush all along and continues to do so:
I have heard some returning soldiers express strong opinions about US politics. They are proud to be in the military and know the media does not tell the entire story of the good they are doing in Iraq. On the home front, some are also concerned about the issue of immigration from Mexico. As I wrapped up yesterday's book fair, a married couple who both returned this week from the war front explained their solution to building a fence at the US/Mexico border: "We need to do it. The entire border. And for those people we let in, there should be a requirement that they must speak English. And they each need to serve one year in the military, defending the country they want to live in. Then they can stay here." I'll admit, it sounds like a good idea to me.
Then I hope you won't mind paying $25/hour to the person who mops the floors at your office, missus, because that's what you'll have to pay to keep that well-educated, English-speaking, legal immigrant from taking another job for which they are qualified.

She goes on:
President Bush has said the Iraq war is about good versus evil. I too believe it is. As a mother of two sons in the military (USAF and USN), I support wholeheartedly the US efforts to conquer the enemy who wants to prevent its own people from being free.
I respect that, I do. She has two kids in the military, she's got a right to have an opinion about the war. That's two kids more than any senior member of the Bush administration, I believe.

She then goes on to comment about the need to judge oneself before judging Ted Haggard:
Let's instead do a personal assessment of our own integrity and honesty and go on to become better people. Because being a hypocrite and deceiver is just as much a sin as any other. Choose good and "right" instead of evil and "wrong." How does one know the difference? I'd suggest start by reading the Bible as an instruction guide for how to do it right.
Hmm, I guess she doesn't mean the part of the Bible that says to put homosexuals to death.

Anyway, it's silly for me to take issue with one person's single entry -- compared, for example, to this goober, she seems reasonably intelligent -- and I'm sure she could find plenty of my posts to take apart. It's just kind of weird to find somebody who is sort of the perfect anti-gay, anti-immigrant, pro-war blogger -- but she can actually spell and type. You know, somebody voted for Bush -- somebody like this.

No comments: