Friday, September 27, 2002

Another foggy beautiful day

The city and local transportation activists are sponsoring a street closure in the Financial District in the middle of the day today. It's also the tenth anniversary of Critical Mass.

What's the problem? Well, the weather, for one thing. By picking the last Friday in September, the organizers probably thought they'd get a gorgeous day. They bet wrong.

Secondly, the street closure is supposed to end at 2:00 pm. But Critical Mass traditionally happens in late afternoon, the better to disrupt the afternoon auto commute. "I see a confrontation looming," my boss predicted.

This is actually the perfect day to throw money out the window. Say what? Well, my office is on the 14th floor of a building at Pine and Montgomery; prevailing winds from the west blow any paper thrown out the window right down to the intersection. And I've always wanted to disrupt the orderly flow of the day by throwing a bunch -- say, 300 -- of one dollar bills out the window and watch people scramble for them. I wanted to do it on the 35 anniversary, last month, of Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin's famous visit to the New York Stock Exchange. But I didn't. I guess I won't today, either. There's got to be a really good day to do it...

No comments: