Sunday, September 22, 2002

Credit cowabunga

Rather exhausted after two days of playing, first with D. -- we went to the Airport Doubletree and ate at Benihana's, sharing our table with some sorority girls who were celebrating one's birthday -- then with Cris and Nancy, with whom I managed to spend several thousand dollars for a complete new Mac G4 system. We got the works -- flatscreen monitor, printer-fax-scanner-copier, and a wireless network. All of it went on plastic, needless to say -- which just goes on the house line of credit. Now I'm working on the new computer. Quite an experience. We actually bought and paid for a copy of Microsoft Office. I never thought I'd find myself doing that. I rationalize it by supposing, I've been stealing software from Bill Gates for the last 13 years, the least I could do is pay for it once.

We've really been spending the money lately. First the new truck, now this. We're also getting new office furniture. If we were opening a new business or something, I could understand, but...

The only thing I can't figure out about this new system is the way IE 5.2 is behaving on Mac OS 10.2. It's wrapping text on web pages in a very unpredictable manner -- for example the word "girls" in the first paragrah, on my screen, the "girl" part is at the end of one line and the "s" is on the next. But not every word or line behaves this way. It's a mystery.

Now I'm going to need to concentrate on work for about two years and not get laid off -- maybe I'll have a chance of actually paying off these credit bills.

No comments: