Monday, September 23, 2002

Predestination

I got no writing done last weekend. Too busy having fun and spending money like -- and here's a phrase that creeps in from my quaint midwestern upbringing -- "like it was goin' out of style."

I guess it's all right for me to have slacked for a weekend, especially since Cris is supposed to be out of town next weekend and I should get a lot of writing done. If I know where I'm going with it, that is.

There are several approaches I could take to the problem I have with my novel -- the problem being that I don't know how to resolve certain character development issues with one of my main characters. One approach would be to make notes up the wazoo until I finally figure it out -- or exhaust myself in the process, as I did on Sep 7. Another approach is to completely change the ending I have planned. (My problem is that I have the ending planned, but I can't figure out how this character develops in such a way as to get to that ending. And I'm afraid that if I just write it the way it is, the decision the character makes at the end -- a decision I have pre-ordained -- will seem both unjustified and contradictory.)

But the approach I think I will try to take is to just write through the difficulty, trusting that by the time I get to that part of the story, I will be able to make things fit.

No comments: