Saturday, September 27, 2003

Bye bye red truck

A year ago, when I was still employed by a software company at a ridiculously high salary, I decided it was time to replace the Toyota MR2 we've been driving for several years. And since I'd always wanted to get a light pickup ever since my days in the early 80s as a delivery truck driver, I determined to replace the sports car, named Martina, with a truck. We found a great deal on a pretty red 2002 Ford Ranger and paid cash. Three weeks later I was laid off.

I really like the truck. The only problem is that it's a lot harder to park a pickup truck, even a "compact" one, in San Francisco than Martina (which we wisely held onto). So we rarely used the truck, though I did drive it down to the desert and back last November. Since then we've mostly used it to help people move.

As a sign of how temporary I must have viewed this relationship, I never named the truck. It's just the red truck. Well, we're getting kind of broke, despite my measly hourly wages, and finally determined to sell the truck. it's going this weekend, by hook or crook.

No comments: