Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Truly bye bye red truck

I know I announced a couple days ago that I sold my truck, but this evening I delivered it to the buyer, whose check I deposited on Monday. I drove down to Mountain View -- a Silicon Valley town which I last visited in the late 90s when I interviewed for a contractor gig at Netscape, a gig I didn't get -- this was before Netscape was purchased by AOL, as far as I remember. (So what? I don't know.) The very first time I was in Mountain View was before the phrase Silicon Valley was invented. It was about 1980 or 81, and I was seeing a woman named Noelle who lived down there.

Anyway, to get back to the subject -- I drove the truck down there and gave it to the guy, and he then dropped me off at the train station. I rode the train to Millbrae, an even more meaningless suburban town, and then got on the new BART line that opened this year, and rode to within a half mile of my house. It was nice to be able to use public transit so easily, especially since I've been paying for that line for the last twenty years -- I ought to be able to put it to use once in a while.

This came after a little freakout yesterday when I tried to find a little pile of nuts and bolts I needed to re-attach part of the truck prior to delivering it. I never found the nuts and bolts and Cris ended up just taking care of it this morning at a body shop so that I could deliver the truck tonight. Thus ends a short chapter of our household story as seen through the vehicles we've owned. We didn't use that truck much, but it did take me on a few crucial trips through driving rainstorms quite comfortably.

No comments: