Monday, September 17, 2007

Unable to say no

The Houston Chronicle did a story about the difficulty of getting tickets to a teenybopper concert and the emotional and economic dilemma parents put themselves in. A quote from one pathetic mother says it all:
It was supposed to be something light-hearted and fun, and it's turned into something more expensive than our monthly mortgage," Isget said. "My son has no knowledge of us going into credit-card debt to get the tickets. I thought it would be worth it -- that it would compensate for my own mental anguish -- but it leaves me with such a bad feeling. I'd promised him. How far am I willing to go to keep that promise. If I refused, that only hurts him.
This is an 8-year-old kid she couldn't say no to. Talk about "mental anguish."

How much did she pay for two tickets to a show in an enormous arena with 70,000 other screaming kids? $629. Plus the cost of 153-mile drive from some little back-ass town in Texas to some slightly less back-ass town in Louisiana where the concert is.

This is the kind of person who goes on one of those Judge Judy shows to make a fool of themselves. As long as someone's holding up a microphone or a camera, they'll basically do anything.

No comments: