Friday, August 09, 2002

 

Long days

These are long days. I get up at 5:00 and shower, feed the cats, eat breakfast. Then I head over to the zen center in the Castro, and back home to change clothes, and then head downtown for work. So that's like two hours added on to what is a normal day for most people. Then after work I often have some meeting or other to go to. By the time I'm heading in or out of that after-work thing, it already seems like it's been a long day.

None of it's likely to change. So I take naps on the floor of my office at work to keep from running myself ragged. I just hope that the descent of winter (showoffy WCW reference!) doesn't further sap my willingness to get up at 5:00 a.m. It's one thing to get up and go sit in a basement before dawn in nice weather, but what will it be like when it's 40 degrees and the sun doesn't even rise until 7:00?

That's why I'll never live in Minneapolis. Not that anyone's asked me. It's just one of those cities which I think must be nice, even though I've never been there -- and I've definitely never spent a winter anywhere close to that far north. My only midwestern winters were in southern Illinois as a kid -- nowhere near as bad.

I'm rambling. Just getting psyched up for my reading in L.A. next week -- which I have to keep mentioning because otherwise no one will come. Now I'm worried I didn't put that mention high enough in this entry.

No comments: