Thursday, August 01, 2002

 

Some people will do anything to get a reaction

MTV `Jackass` host held on obscenity and battery charges

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Steve-O, a host of the MTV daredevil show ``Jackass,''
remains in jail on $150,000 bail for obscenity and battery charges stemming
from a July 11 appearance in Louisiana.

The 28-year-old performer, whose real name is Stephen Glover, was arrested
Monday and charged with being a fugitive, police said.

Glover, of Los Angeles, is accused of violating obscenity laws by exposing
himself and stapling his scrotum to his inner thigh at a nightclub in Houma, La.

Boy, can you imagine the scuttlebutt on the standup comedy circuit? "You think audiences in L.A. or New York are tough? Guess what I had to do in Houma to get a laugh! I put my hand in a blender!"

I have never seen the program "Jackass," nor have I seen very much of MTV programming. I don't get it, and I'm not supposed to -- I'm 46 years old and way over the target market, no matter how much electronica I listen to. I don't get "Beavis & Butthead." I don't get "South Park." (I do get "The Simpsons," but hey, that show started ten years ago and was created by a baby boomer my age. It's totally 70s and 80s humor.)

Here's the summary, from the MTV website:

MTV is funding a bumbling cast ... to play with poo and dress in a variety of men's undergarments. [It] features a startling array of silly pranks, ridiculous stunts and a bunch of other stupid crap. .... WARNING: The following show features stunts performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. Accordingly, MTV and the producers must insist that no one attempt to recreate or reenact any stunt or activity performed on this show. MTV insists that our viewers do not send in any home footage of themselves or others being jackasses.

Okay, I won't.

No comments: