Saturday, August 31, 2002

 

Back to the weekend

Went to the orthopedist -- a fancy Palo Alto doc who repairs the ligaments of pro footballers -- who almost laughed at my ankle sprain. He called it a "level one" and said just be careful with it and I'd be fine in a couple of weeks. So I will get back to meditating and so forth on Monday.

Meanwhile I've been luxuriating in sleeping late and doing practically nothing. I've slept nine hours two nights in a row, and we're just starting a three day weekend. If only I were exercizing, I would feel so great. Anyway it's back to work today on my novel.

I still seem to be attracting some strange energy, though. Last week a fan wrote me asking if I'd seen a book called Carrie's Story by Molly Weatherfield. She rhapsodized about its inventive s/m plot, in which a grad student bottoms for a year to a guy who then sells her in an auction to a man who then subjects her to "pony training." I hadn't heard of the book, but then a few days later my publisher sent me the book saying they thought I'd like it.

This was very strange. I wasn't surprised when the afore-mentioned fan zeroed in on the book, given its subject matter, because she had talked with me before about her submission fantasies; this would be perfect for her. Then it was odd that the guy at Cleis picked up on the same thing, especially given that I had never talked with him about the book or the author. But the really strange thing is that I myself had been having these "pony training" designs on a new girlfriend, but hadn't spoken to anybody about them, including her. Since this is kind of an obscure s/m cul-de-sac -- even Dan Savage hasn't made fun of it yet, as far as I know -- it seems really strange that two completely unrelated people would pick up on it at the same time, and think of me, while I was having the same ideas. I guess I should read the book.

No comments: