Thursday, November 13, 2003

Just like royalty

This week I got another quarterly royalty statement, along with a check, from my publisher. The statements are perfectly clear, with figures for number of copies sold for each of the two books of mine they published in 2001, along with a "return reserve" just in case those books they "sold" to stores don't actually get sold but get returned. Then the check they send, along with the statements, is for an amount that is completely different than the amounts on the statements -- sometimes more, sometimes less. It's a mystery to me just how it all works, but I'm glad to see each of my books has sold about 2800 copies.

I got a nice fan email the other day, too. There's nothing like having a total stranger write you that he really digs your book.

No comments: