Sunday, January 29, 2006

Assignment

Write a paragraph that ends with this phrase: ... as if suddenly waking from sleep.

Finally in the middle of the afternoon after about six errands and a period of getting short with each other, she was telling me about having gotten the car fixed, and one of her spoonerisms leapt out. "And I also had them fix the Hello Button," she said. After a few seconds pause I turned my head to look at her when we stopped at a stop sign, and she mutely pointed to the passenger side door lock button, the thing that has not worked automatically for months. You're supposed to be able to hit a button on the driver's side and the passenger door unlocks itself and this button shoots up -- this is what she called the Hello Button. She cast me a sidelong glance and then we were both laughing like crazy, we were lovers again understanding each other and loving each other, as if suddenly waking from sleep.

No comments: