Saturday, January 21, 2006

The first hour of Martin Scorsese's New York, New York

Continuing my occasional visits to the films of my youth -- my movie-soaked college and post-college years -- I watched, or tried to watch, New York, New York (NYT review, free reg. req.).

Nearly thirty years after the film's release, it looks like a near-masterpiece, a stunning exercise in filmmaking, with genuinely funny moments between Robert DeNiro and Liza Minnelli during the first forty minutes, an amazing mise-en-scene*, and a terrific amount of heart -- no matter how difficult and echt-1970s the shooting itself was. (That's the great thing about looking back at the 70s -- for all its excesses, what we're left with are these great films.)

And it's great to see adult material that didn't make sense to me back when I was 20 or 25 years old and understand it better now -- just the whole adult give-and-take that seemed alien when I was still an adolescent.

But the same thing that almost ruined the picture for me back then truly ruined it for me today: the DeNiro character is such an asshole. He is bullying, passive-aggressive, dismissive, at times positively abusive. He's genuinely mean to the Minnelli character, even when he's doing something like proposing marriage. While I respect the depth and well-roundedness of this characterization and the brilliance of DeNiro in embodying him, I dislike the character so much that I can't watch the movie. I literally had to turn it off after a little more than an hour.

This is my familiar problem of cringing at characters, especially male characters, who are negative in certain bullying ways. Maybe it's that I have never resolved the bullying I endured as a child, or maybe it's that I have a hard time facing and resolving the bullying, mean aspects of my own character. But after a certain point, I can't watch it on the screen. I cringe and turn it off.

* That's a fancy film crit term meaning, roughly, the (ideally) wholly realized world created by the director, cast and crew within the bounds of the frame.

, , ,

No comments: