Monday, January 16, 2006

Texting ushering new era of telegraphese?

Take a look at this message from a tribe.net "Psy trance" forum (don't ask me what I was doing there):

hey
m frm mumbai ma frds jus came bk frm goa ystrday.
they went 4 sum gd trance parties n got alot of As frm there.
everythgs still the same in goa.
dnt wry newyrs gonab the same
boom
btw if u knw ne gals interestd in planin wd goa wd me on 29-12-05 leme knw.
all ma guy frds wilb meetin me there.

Here is my translation, as far as I can:

Hey, I'm from Mumbai. My friends just came back from Goa yesterday. They went for some good trance parties and got a lot of As (?) from there. Everything's still the same in Goa. Don't worry, New Year's gonna be the same. Boom. (?) By the way, if you know any gals interested in planning __?__ Goa with me on 29 December let me knmow. All my guy friends will be meeting me there.

I presume the poster wrote the message like that from a phone or Blackberry rather than just to be cool. But I was particularly interested in the practice of ending words with "b" as in "gonab" for "gonna be" or "wilb" for "will be." Is texting ushering in a new era of telegraphese?

No comments: