Monday, January 16, 2006

The iPod is many things, and now it is a lame-ass metaphor

A Baptist preacher in Houston tells people they should be more like the iPod:

"The reason the outside of the iPod is so simple to use and so beautiful to look at is because of the way they designed the inside of the iPod," Metropolitan Baptist Church Pastor Sal Sberna told his congregation Sunday during his second of four sermons on "iPod Theology."

"All you do on the outside is push the little button, drive the wheel and pick what usefulness you want out of your iPod," he said. "And so when Jesus talks to us about simplification, it must start on the inside... When I go to iTunes, I select all that I want. When I go to Jesus Christ, he gives me all that I need. It's that simple."

"I am always looking for something that a majority of people can relate to," he explained.

But the best thing about this whole article is the end. I've been joking for a long time that evangelicals' wide use of the term "personal savior" sounds a lot like "personal stereo." And now:

"That's such a neat thing about the iPod -- it can be intimately yours," Sberna said. "And that is the neat thing about God."

Okay... so the concept of "personal savior" actually is a lot like "personal stereo."

,

No comments: