Monday, August 21, 2006

End of the vacation

Thoughts on return...
  1. It was a ten-hour drive from Portland to SF -- and only two tanks of gas. I left at 7 a.m. and hit the toll plaza about 5:10 p.m.
  2. I was glad, of course, to see the Bay Bridge and the fog-shrouded downtown. But I was even glad to see the utterly grungy spray-it-yourself car wash next to the Bayshore onramp to 101 north. When I saw that I knew I was back home.
  3. Liz Henry's now on the SF metroblog! Look at this entry of hers with an awesome photo of her kid entering school for his first day.
  4. While I was gone, the trial Cris has been working on as one of her internships ended, and they lost. Cris doesn't have a blog per se but she blogs as the cat; so she blogged about the verdict, in a very three-levels-of-indirection way.
  5. I got home before Cris and opened all the mail that had piled up. (She has little interest in mail.) Among the bills was something from a blood lab that tried to bill the wrong insurance company. A year after I changed jobs we're still getting bills from people who have billed the wrong insurance. At first it made me pissed off and I would send the bills back with pissy letters but now it just makes me sort of sad.
  6. The house was filled with flowers; our cleaner picks them from our garden and brings them in. I don't know what they're called but they smell so nice.

No comments: