Friday, August 25, 2006

What successful authors are really thinking

My friend Katia was telling me recently about a writers conference she had gone to where, no matter how successful the other writers were, they had nothing but complaints about the industry and their lives, or lack of them. Now she has turned this into a really funny bit of satire in which she reads the minds of authors who talk a good game:
Q: Your first book was a big success with a great press. What's up with your second book?

A (says): It will be coming out soon...

(thinks):I know it's going to bomb, too. They gave me 150K for a two book deal, and then my press never got behind me. The advertising was lame and nobody came to my readings. The marketing department made the cover a silly pink and doomed the book to chick-lit land. Maybe if I had gone to prison or something, the reviewers would take me seriously.
Katia was also just interviewed by Michelle Richmond.

, , , ,,

1 comment:

Katia Noyes said...

I haven't told you yet about which authors felt it was okay to cut ahead in the food line. The ones who thought their status meant no need for THEM to wait. It was priceless watching one guy sniff the air, look at us lining up, and walk to the front.