Thursday, October 03, 2002

It's just business

For his latest trick, Y. had us restore the Robe Chant, but at the end of zazen instead of the beginning. This preserves his ability to make a grand entrance accompanied by his factotum. He delivered another aphorism today -- something about how the ten directions of the universe are the same as the "body of the way-seeker." I'm sitting there thinking, "Woo woo woo woo." Then, avoiding his grammatical gaffe of yesterday, he added simply, "Please study this carefully." I didn't, but I did manage to sit very still for the whole period. I'm already getting over the guy. I won't let him puncture my practice, such as it is.

Then I went right in to work, and to my great surprise, got laid off. Somehow management decided to reduce the size of the technical writing team. I spent most of the rest of the day cleaning up my office and commiserating with my soon-to-be former co-workers, all of whom had very nice things to say about me.

I didn't get any chance to sit around at home, though, since Cris had a huge house project scheduled. We picked up a bunch of furniture we'd ordered from a store on Valencia St. and got two undocumentistos (I just made that up) to help us unpack it, set it up, and get rid of the tables and bookshelves we replaced. Now it's late in the evening. The Giants lost, I got laid off, and I'm really tired.

No comments: