Monday, March 31, 2003

Not a good sign

Baseball season started today, with the Giants in San Diego. I kept track of the game on the internet, using the Yahoo Sports thingy. In the top of the 7th, with the score tied, the Padres loaded the bases with one out. Joe Nathan came in and got the outs.

Well and good. But in the following inning, the Giants blew a huge chance. Ray Durham walked to open the inning, and Jose Cruz doubled him to third. With no outs, it looked like a perfect chance for the Giants to leap ahead. All Rich Aurelia had to do was get on base somehow.

But he popped out to the infield, the worst possible thing he could have done. That left first base open, and Bonds was, of course, intentionally walked. Edgardo Alfonso proceeded to hit the first pitch into a double play, no runs, one hit, no errors, one left. Not a good sign of things to come. But at least it was still tied.

I spent the day totally wasting time, as usual, with apologies to the author of the book I'm reading. I mean, mostly I did errands and cruised the internet. Now I'll go home and see if the game's still on when I get there.

Update: My pessimism was unjustified. The Giants scored three in the ninth and won. However, by the next game, E. Alfonso was already demoted in the batting order for grounding into inning-ending double plays not once but twice. The nerve.

No comments: