Thursday, March 13, 2003

'Seig heil on your dial'

Now that right-wing foamer Michael Savage has national TV exposure, cooler heads are starting to get alarmed. This interesting column by Michael Hiltzik in the L.A. Times wonders if the Disney corporation, owner of the San Francisco radio station where Savage's show originates, is really that comfortable with Savage's offensive rants. Other links:

Salon, 5 March 03: Savage's long strange trip
a "critical analysis" of Savage's recent bestselling book
Orange Co. Register, 9 Mar 03: Savage turned bigot when blocked from UC professorship
Philadelphia Inquirer, 13 Mar 03: MSNBC stands by Savage as some sponsors flee

I've always thought it very strange that San Francisco, of all places, even has a right-wing radio station. For that station, KSFO -- nicknamed "Hot Talk" (cringe) -- plays nothing but right-wing ranting (plus Oakland A's baseball games). The only possible explanation is that there are thousands and thousands of people in the famously liberal Bay Area who are actually hate-filled homophobes and xenophobes. I don't know where they are, but it's not surpirsing I don't know any. Where would I run into them, besides on the bus? I don''t talk to people on the bus.

I can't listen to that station, no matter what they're playing. I turn it on once in a while, but I quickly turn it off. It's just too painful. Instead, for a laugh, I turn on the fundamentalist Christian radio station. that's only because there is no radio outlet in SF for the right-wing Catholic network.

No comments: