Thursday, March 06, 2003

Shake the head sadly

This is fucking scary.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

"You better believe we're going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration," said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. "Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?"

Mildly clever, you think. Well, it's from The Onion of 18 January 2001.

It obviously wasn't enough for Hollywood to turn the Aileen Wuornos saga into a cheap, exploitative TV movie in 1992. Now I just noticed a Nov. 2002 story saying two glamorous Hollywood stars, Christina Ricci and Charlize Theron, will play Aileen and her lover in a big-screen version. Just what we need.

It's a little disturbing how many movies I've seen in the last month or two. Not many by some people's standards -- like maybe eight. (When I was a college student I used to see eight a week. Of course, I was majoring in film criticism.) But movies were basically all I had to talk about when taking a walk today with my fellow first novelist Katia. I don't have time to sit around reading books, I think. I do have time to spend three or four hours a day on the internet wasting time, though.

No comments: