Saturday, September 04, 2004

Dog days

Was talking on Thursday to one of the parishioners at the church where I work. Both of us lost our full-time high-paid jobs a couple years ago and we chatted about the possibilities of finding something this year. I complained that I hadn't had a vacation in more than a year and was looking forward to the four-day weekend. "Four day weekend!" he exclaimed. "You get every Friday off. You get a three-day weekend every week!" Yeah, but he doesn't have a job at all. (Actually, he busts his ass in volunteer work there at the church.)

Aside from meeting a former co-worker on Friday and doing a lot of errands, I've been very low-energy. The heat is part of the problem -- the weather's typically hot and dry (for San Francisco). I fell into a sugar-crash-induced nap about 3:00 pm and took a 45-minute walk on Bernal Heights just before sunset. Otherwise I watched the hurricane on TV. Didn't read, didn't write. Feel a little useless.

While I was dialling around, I happened across the Lawrence Welk Show, which apparently is in perpetual reruns. Cris walked in while Welk was conducting a march. "Connecting with your ethnic roots?" she asked.

No comments: