Sunday, February 27, 2005

California

After church today I chatted up a nice lesbian about my age. She said she had come up from So. Cal. for a few weeks, and I said something about how it must be nice to get away from the rain. Spoke too soon, though, because it started raining like a motherfucker this afternoon. I went over to Oakland to the museum to see their exhibit about California during the Vietnam War years. I was impressed with the size of the crowd, which had a large representation of aging baby boomers who, after going through the exhibit, sat in the cafeteria and reminisced about their experiences then. I was less impressed with the exhibit itself, which was largely composed of memorabilia, posters, clothing and uniforms from the era, and a few photos and video montages. But then I remembered that the Oakland Museum is less an art museum than a history museum.

Then I went to spend an hour with Six at Jenny's house. And on the way back, on the bridge, the rain was hard and the wind was high. I'm driving a new used car, a 93 Acura we got last week, and I was grateful that I wasn't driving Martina, our old MR2, which leaks in the rain.

Martina is now for sale (here's a picture of the same color, make and model) if anybody wants her. Good mechanical condition!

Then back home: feeding the cats, putting away groceries, doing a load of laundry. The glories of bourgeois living.

No comments: