Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Then this morning I didn't have enough milk for my cereal, and it was at that moment that I truly understood Auschwitz.

Courtesy the always engaging Salt blog, a story about the visit of a Rwandan bishop to the U.S., in which he compares the Rwandan genocide to the U.S. church's installation of a gay bishop.

We experienced genocide and the horror that no one in the world came to help us. What has happened in the Episcopal church feels like a genocide, too. But it is spiritual rather than physical.

Thus saith the bishop, one Josias Sendegeya. That reminds me, I had a check bounced by the bank last month -- it felt like a personal Sept. 11 in my life. And when this girl in a bar told me to get lost the other day, I immediately thought of how Rome was sacked by the Vandals.

No comments: